Voices of 5/6
A small group of students met during lunch on Friday to comment on the events of the week and share highlights with families. The contributors for this week are Oliver, Emily, Marcella and Jasmine.
- We started a new writing unit introducing us to fantasy writing. We used a special website to get story ideas. We wrote small “blurbs” from the story starters.
- We resumed our Legal Literacy unit. Two students from the IU School of Law came in and taught us about assault and battery and self defense. We played a game like “telephone” where we shared information about the legal definitions.
- In P3 we are collecting food samples to test their reactions to yeast. Yeast mostly reacts to sugar. We are looking for foods that have different amounts of sugar. We will look to see how the ending result changes.
- In readers workshop we have continued with our book clubs. Clubs have all had at least one meeting. In a meeting we talk about a section we have just read and then fill out a log. All of the book club books are written with different perspectives. This ties into our Throughline “Perspectives”. Some of the books have two character perspectives and others have 13 different perspectives.
- We made special calendar cards for our class calendar. Each was made by a partnership. They got the number and a theme. Then they came up with original art to decorate the card.
We also spent some time on Friday doing some surveys of how well we know our classmates. Students wrote about what they know is important to fellow classmates and then analyzed to look for trends in who they know about. It was an interesting process, and we’re still working on how to get to know folks well across grades, genders, lines, interests, etc.
We are still in need of some classroom supplies – pencils, ziplock bags, tissues, and paper towels. If you can, please send them in!
HONK lines are due this Wednesday, February 1st. Please let us know if your kiddo could benefit from some extra practice in school and we’ll find some time in the day.
Fresh Grade – if you do not have access to your child’s Fresh Grade portfolio, please et us know so we can re-send the invitation links.
Art To Remember Late Orders HAVE ARRIVED! All orders placed on-line or turned in to TPS beyond the original due date have arrived in one lovely box. If you or any other loved ones would like me to hold them for you and NOT send them home with your TPS students, please email me. Otherwise, all late order products will be sent home in backpacks this coming Monday, JAN 30th 2017. Thanks so much for all of your support for the arts.
Questions to Ask Your Child at Home:
- What story starters did you get during Writers Workshop?
- How is set design going?
- How are book clubs? How many discussions have you had with your group?
- What have you learned about your classmates this week?