Voices of 5/6
This is your Voice of 5/6 update. A small group of students met during lunch on Friday to comment on the events of the week and share highlights with families. The contributors for this week are Willa, Oliver, Surya, Phoenix, Emily and Grayson.
In MAW we have figured out our MAW groups. We have started planning. We also have our theme for the MAW. This year it will be fantasy combined with perspectives. We don’t have a title yet but we are working to find one.
In Readers we each picked out a theme and we searched for books that matched our theme. When we are done we will read a picture book and a poem with the same themes. We have been working towards total understanding of our topics. We are making predictions about what will happen in our books. We are working to find how the theme connects to our book.
In arts we saw a 7-8 rehearsal of The Cradle will Rock. We started learning how to play Over the Rainbow on the Ukulele. We also discussed image in the music industry. In visual arts we are wrapping up ABC books, mazes and optical illusions. We also worked on reflections on our art work.
We have started NWEA testing. We are finished with the Reading NWEA. Next week we will do Language Usage.
Next week will be exciting because we are going to the Children’s Museum. That will help us with our displays for the MAW. On Thursday we go to field day at Yard Dog Farm. Then Friday we have no school.
- We attend the Children’s Museum in Indianapolis on Tuesday 5/23! We will leave school around 8:30 and return to school in the afternoon!
- Field day is on Thursday, 5/25 – below is a list of items your child can bring.
- Make up school pictures are tomorrow. Ms. Mallory has a schedule of people who have pre-arranged make up pictures.
- Our zine-work-release forms went home last week (with two students’ as the exception). Please send these back as soon as you can as we will be brainstorming how/when to publish our zine.
- Conferences are in progress – remember we do not have school on 5/26 because it is conference day.
- Our MAW work has started, please let us know if you’d like to be involved with helping kids construct their museum exhibits.
Questions to Ask Your Child at Home
- How have your CPR communication studies influenced how you talk with your friends?
- (for kiddos not in LLI) What theme did you choose for your novel/picture book/chapter book study?
- What did you think of the 7/8 play? How did the actors communicate the metaphors and themes of this piece?
- What is your new invitation and what questions are you most excited to pursue?
Field Day (Thanks for the list Ms. Cindy!)
Our class will be going to Ms. Sara’s for Field Day on Thursday! Students should be dressed for the weather and should have:
- tennis shoes for a hike
- swimsuit and towel if they want to get wet
- bug spray
- a lunch unless they pre-ordered it from school
- water bottle labeled with their name
- change of clothes
- NO electronics are allowed at field day