This week we went to Bradford Woods! We had such a fun time with many many memories to share with you. Our trail groups focused on lessons around: benthic macro invertebrates, outdoor survival shelter/skills [including building a fire], nighttime adaptations of animals, how different rocks are formed, and how to leave no trace.
Another big part of our Bradford Woods experience was learning about YUK! — or food waste. Make sure to ask your child how their tables worked to reduce food waste in the dining hall.
We also spent a lot time thinking about connections – what the connections were between ourselves and our natural environment, the connections to the Bradford Woods staff, to TPS students, to our habits, etc. While incredibly exhausting, the experience left many students feeling different about the world than they did just three days before.
- We have been experiencing a lot of tardies in 5/6 – 19 children were tardy at least once in the last two weeks! Please make sure your child is here by 8:00am to get all the things done in the morning that help them prepare for the day.
- Our Bradford Woods and Personal Narrative celebration is in Bryan Park tomorrow. Please see the letter pasted below for more details and what we need families to bring.
- We will start using our new (!!!) Chromebooks this week. Kids are very excited about having 1:1 functional technology in our classroom.
- Homework got passed out on Friday – it will be due on October 5th — the paper says September 8th, which would be a very difficult deadline to meet without a time machine.
Questions to Ask Your Child at Home
- How did you feel about learning outdoors? What did you learn?
- What kinds of creatures, trees, and ideas did you encounter while at Bradford Woods ?
- Why does the presence of certain animals tell you about water quality?
- What are helpful things for a camper to have if they are staying overnight outdoors for multiple days?
- How do different animals adapt to night time?
Invitation to Celebration
Dear ⅚ families,
We are having a celebration at Bryan Park. This celebration is for our Bradfordwoods trip and to celebrate our personal narrative writing pieces. Our celebration is this Monday, the 25th of September, between 6pm to 7:30pm.
You can stop by anytime in between 6pm and 7:30pm. We will meet on the big field on the south-west-side of the park. At this celebration we will be playing Bradford Woods style Capture The Flag, having s’mores, singing songs from Bradford Woods, arts and crafts, and showing our Bradford Woods journal and our writing pieces.
If you have any of the following that you could bring Monday, please contact Ms.Kalei, Mr. John, or Ms. Rebecca. :
- Fold out tables
- Pop up tents
- S’more roasting sticks
- Chocolate (for s’mores)
- Your child (you don’t have to contact ms.Kalei about this one)
If you come please make sure your child is wearing his/hers Bradfordwoods T-shirts.
From the ⅚ friends!
We began editing in writers workshop – adding commas, adverbs, adjectives, and peer reading our drafts for spelling and grammar. We will be publishing this week. We’ll have a celebration of these writing pieces as well as Bradford Woods in general on 9/25 at 6pm in Bryan Park!
In reading, we have been talking about what readers do with punctuation and formatting in a text. We’ve been talking about all caps, italics, spacing, ellipses, parentheses, and so much more.
In P3 we have been investigating light, energy, and doing some incredible work with THE SUN.
Our Bradford Woods trip is up and coming on September 18th (a week from today!). Please make sure you check out the gear list and let us know if you have questions of what/how to pack.
Homework was due last Friday, September 8th. We plan to send out another homework bingo that will be due on September 29th. Following that, will be a four week bingo (two five in a rows) that will occur over fall break as well.
Questions to Ask Your Child at Home:
- Last week you set up your Fresh Grade account. How do you think being on tech in 5/6 went for you? What about for the class as a whole?
- What is going on in the read aloud Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere? How can you make connections to what is happening with Hurricane Harvey & Irma?
- How are you feeling about editing your first writing piece this school year?
- What do you need to help you feel prepared to go to Bradford Woods?
In P3 we studied light! Prisms! Rainbows! And the moon! Kids have been really excited about the experimental aspects of our science work right now but are starting to connect to some bigger problems in our world. We spent quite a bit of time this week discussing Hurricane Harvey and the scientific reasons behind it. We also started a read aloud – Upside Down in the Middle of Nowhere which is about a young girl in New Orleans when Katrina hits. We are making lots of connections.
In writers workshop, we are revising personal narrative pieces. We worked on revising internal and external description and our leads.
In readers workshop, we picked new novels up on Thursday/Friday. We talked about finding books that are just right, and part of that is student interest! Most students have finalized a choice to carry through the next two weeks.
We are going to have a publishing party / time to celebrate Bradford Woods on Monday the 25th at 6:00 in Bryan Park. The actual location within the park is TBD. We’ll have writing pieces there if you want to browse, some pieces we make with our trail groups after returning from BW, and most importantly – some opportunities to join in the games and songs we learn at Bradford Woods.
- The Family Info Night for Bradford Woods is Tuesday September 5th at 5pm!
- Homework is due this Friday. You can find a pdf of the assignment online and we have many extra hard copies in the classroom.
- Bradford Woods paperwork went home early last week. We’ll need these pieces back no later than September 6th.
Questions to Ask Your Child at Home:
- What book did you pick in the readers workshop unit?
- How are you doing on your homework?
- How has your study of The Planets in performing arts connected to P3 work?
- How have the lunch arrangements changed? How are you feeling about that?