We spent last week working in smaller CPR groups and continued with themes of interdependence. In these groups, 18 in size, with Heather, John, & Kalei, facilitating – students are talking about common ground and mutually beneficial relationships. We have also been working on mixing up who kids sit next to so that they are greeting and connecting with a variety of kiddos throughout the week.
In writers workshop, we finished up our work with interviewing a peer. Students have been closely studying the format of a paragraph, and that’s why it showed up in homework last week (and again this week!).
We went to see the 3/4 play – Alice in Wonderland – it was amazing.
We also started to extend some of our genetics understandings to work with Punnett Squares. We’ve been working to understand dominant and recessive genes. We’re excited about the places this study of science is going to take us in future P3 work. We’ve started to do some work with learning about the gene-edited babies in China, and students have been reflecting on what opinions they have of this scenario. Here is a short radio piece we listened to today.
- Homework will be due on Thursday this week! We are really trying to help kids build the habit of getting it done before the weekend.
- The whole school will be going to see Cardinal Stage’s production of Beauty & the Beast on December 20th at 10am. We are asking that families send in $6.50 for their child to attend this performance. No child will be prevented from going based on an inability to pay. If you are able to contribute extra money to cover the cost of someone else, please send that in with your child.
Questions to Ask Your Child at Home
- What did you learn in the process of interviewing and writing up paragraphs in Writers Workshop?
- What do you think about the genetic editing article / podcast you engaged with?
- How is IDR going? What books have you completed?